It’s time for UNISON members in schools to speak up!
UNISON is proud to represent around 250,000 school support staff across the UK. Our members do fantastic work to help children learn, keep them safe and healthy and schools running smoothly.
But this is getting harder as budget cuts and job losses bite, putting more pressure on school staff. Thousands of support staff posts have been cut in recent years.
Workloads have spiralled, with support staff working unpaid overtime just to keep schools running. More than 25% of you work nearly an extra day each week for no extra pay – just to get the job done.
The recent pay deal put more money in your pocket, but it’s still not enough. And, in places, terms and conditions are under attack as schools look for ways to save money.
You can’t go on like this. Your school is too important to be put at risk by failing government policies, increasing workloads, funding and staffing cuts, which hurt support staff, teachers, and of course, children.
Have your say
UNISON is asking you to speak up for your school in our consultative ballot:
- We want to know what you think, and what you are prepared to do, to help us defend schools against further cuts and job losses.
- It’s about stopping workload increases and defending your pay, terms and conditions.
- We are consulting all school support staff in England and it is important you have your say.
The online consultation opens 22 January 2019 .
When the ballot opens we will be asking just three simple questions and your answers will help us in our campaign and negotiations with employers and the government.
What happens next?
- Check that we have your current email address at unison.org.uk/my-unison or by contacting the branch on 01243 777636 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- UNISON will send you an email when the ballot opens explaining how you can vote.
- Visit unison.org.uk/speakupforschools to get more information on the issues and a link to the online ballot.
- To vote you will need your date of birth and your National Insurance number or UNISON membership number.
Please have your say on what’s happening where you work – we need to know what you think.
Not yet in UNISON? You can join us today and speak up for your school.