How to raise a complaint or escalate an issue with Capita West Sussex services

West Sussex County Council and Capita have agreed a series of processes with UNISON to help our members successfully raise a complaint or escalate an issue which does not seem to be moving forward.

The branch has heard from many members that payroll and IT queries particularly can often be logged but are then not responded to. If your issue is not responded to, or is not satisfactorily dealt with, you can now escalate it to a higher level and/or complain by following the processes shown in the diagrams linked from this page.

You can use these processes if you are a West Sussex County Council employee or work for another employer that uses Capita for their support services e.g.academies, colleges and so on.

If your issue is particularly serious it is a good idea to alert your local rep or the branch office to the problem you are having, at the same time as you lodge a complaint or escalate it. UNISON will support you to resolve the problem if the processes here are not successful.

Payroll and Recruitment Services

The escalation route includes raising complaints or issues about:

  • Payroll and Recruitment
  • Schools’ Payroll and Recruitment

There is a three-stage escalation process to help deal with any issues raised. Should this not be successful, UNISON members should then contact the branch office for further advice: 01243 777636 or

Download (PDF, 67KB)

IT Services (including IT reasonable adjustments)

For any issues relating to IT services, please use the agreed escalation route [links to a PDF hosted on the WSCC Intranet]. This shows clearly who to contact if you want to make a complaint or raise an issue. Should this not be dealt with effectively at the first stage, it can be escalated at various levels until it is resolved.

Also use this process to escalate IT reasonable adjustments at the Level 2 illustrated.