UNISON on Monday 15th February lodged a pay claim for all council and school workers employed on NJC pay in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The claim calls for a substantial increase, with a minimum of 10% on all spinal column points, from 1 April 2021.
Context of our claim
- Local government workers have kept the country going during the Covid-19 crisis, in one of the most difficult years ever for local authorities and their staff
- Local government workers have worked over and above the cause of duty, putting themselves and their families at risk to support the national effort against Covid-19
- The government promised to do “whatever is necessary to support these efforts” and local authorities expect them to be true to their word
- More austerity is the wrong answer and will be fiercely resisted by trade unions
- Only a substantial pay award can begin to redress a lost decade of cuts, austerity and crisis
- Local government staff have faced a real term pay cut over the past decade
- Meeting this claim will begin to recognise and reward local authority workers and their continued dedication
The full claim is below and has been submitted to the Local Government Association.
The below conditions claim has also been submitted.