Get help to keep warm : UNISON’s 2021 winter fuel grant programme is now open.
Are you worried about paying your winter fuel bill? Have your finances been affected by the pandemic? UNISON’s charity, There For You, has set up a limited fund to help members who are struggling on low incomes. You can apply for a grant of up to £200 towards your winter fuel costs.
Before applying, please read the following important information which should answer all your questions and explain the supporting documents you’ll need to include when applying.
- Applicants must be a UNISON member, have paid at least four weeks subscriptions at the time of applying. Subscriptions must be up to date.
- You do not have savings of more than £1000 – this includes rolling bank balance.
- Only one application per household will be considered.
- You/your partner must be responsible for household fuel bills
- EITHER you are on a low income*: For a single person this means under £18,200 per annum/£350 per week. For a family this means under £26,000 per annum/£500 per week.
OR you are in receipt of one of the following benefits**:
- Housing Benefit
- Universal Credit
- Council Tax Reduction
* Please note that proof of income will be required on submitting your application. Checks may be carried out to verify any information included in this application form.
** Please note that proof of benefit receipt will be required on submitting your application. Checks may be carried out to verify any information included in this application form.
What can I get help with?
We can help with a one-off grant of up to £200. We want to make this fund go as far as possible and help as many members as we can. Please only apply if you are in financial difficulty. There is a limited amount in the Winter Fuel Fund.
What supporting documents must I include with my application?
- You must include a copy of your most recent bank statement showing all transactions for a complete month for all accounts held including your partner if applicable.
- In addition, if you are applying because:
- Your income is below the income eligibility thresholds, you must include the most recent payslip showing your usual salary (including for your partner if applicable)
- You are in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits, you must include 2020/21 award notification or highlight on your bank statement that the benefit is paid.
What happens if I don’t include supporting documents at time of applying?
If you do not include the relevant supporting documents your application will be refused, and you will be asked to reapply.
What if I don’t know my membership number?
How will UNISON contact me?
Acknowledgement – Online applications will receive an automated message confirming your application has been received. If this doesn’t show in your ‘In-box’, please check your ‘junk/spam folders’. If you do not receive an acknowledgement that means your submission was unsuccessful in which case you should reapply.
Processing time – You should not expect to receive an immediate decision. We anticipate receiving many more applications than normal and it could take up to 6 weeks before you hear from us. We would ask that you avoid sending chasing emails, we will do everything we can to process applications as quickly as possible.
If I’ve received a grant in the last 6 months can I still apply?
Yes, you can although we will review previous applications and the amount of support you’ve received. This should not deter you from applying.
How do I apply?
Applying online is the quickest and easiest way to apply. Please make sure you can upload all the relevant supporting documents at the same time otherwise you will be told to reapply.
You should not try applying via a mobile handset as uploading documents will not work.
If you are unable to apply online, email WFGEnquiries@unison.co.uk with your address to request that a winter fuel grant application form be sent to you.
Other important information
As this is a limited fund, we cannot guarantee you will receive a payment even if you meet the eligibility criteria. It is therefore important that you apply as early as possible. Only applications with the relevant supporting documentation will be considered.
If you have any queries concerning these guidelines email WFGEnquiries@unison.co.uk
We recommend you have the supporting documents ready to upload before starting your application as this will only take a few minutes to complete. You will not be able to submit an online application without these.